Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Hitting, biting and stealing candy from a baby

Daily we get a report from school: "Layla is having trouble hitting her friends". Yesterday her report further noted that she is "hitting her friends to take their toys". I have heard she also beats them over the head with a book and laughs!

So everyday, Keith has to hear about how bad Layla is when he picks her up.

I tell my mom and she advises we do something about this. Please...someone....tell me how you correct this behaviour in a 13 month old!!! Literally, all we can do is teach her to be gentle when she hits and then distract her.

I really don't think there is much more to be done. I also don't think we need to hear, daily, how violent she is! If it were my child getting beat up I am sure I would be mad, but honestly, what can we do?

Realistically I know we are doing all we can and Layla is just fiesty and knows what she wants. She knows how to get it. At home, she rips a toy from Noah's hand and he grabs it back. She bites him and he hands it over! She is used to this!

After her report yesterday I sat with her and said, "Layla...did you get in trouble for hurting your friends?". She nods "yes" - how can you not laugh at this?!?!

I know I am not taking it very seriously and I really do feel bad for the kids she is beating up but she will outgrow it. And if she doesn't, she will eventually hit an age where she can be reasoned with or at least experience consequences for her actions.

So for now, I will continue to laugh it off...I just want to publically apologize to all the children in her class who are now her bitches. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment