Thursday, December 2, 2010

First one is glass....

Ever since Noah came into our lives, I have been considered a "helicopter parent" - you know, the kind of parent who just hovers over her child and secretly wishes she could put him into a big bubble and save him from everything bad that could happen to him. Given all we have been through with Noah, can you blame me?!?!

People would constantly mock me and tell me that while I treat Noah like glass, I will treat our future children like plastic - be more lenient and easygoing....

Have these people met me?!?! The worst part of this is that it is my own family telling me this! HA! I am not just a helicopter parent because of Noah's health care issues....I am just obsessive and anxious by nature! I am a germ-a-phobe and a worrier - these things combined make a lethal combination of helicopter'ing.

Ok, so I am a bit more lenient with Layla: I don't make every ounce of her baby food from scratch and if her soother falls on the ground I don't sterilize it immediately; but for the most part, I still treat her the exact same way I did with Noah.

I am sure, if we ever have more children, I will treat them all like glass: they will be considered my own little china shop...
...and I will be the bull running through it.

No comments:

Post a Comment