Thursday, November 18, 2010

My father's wish...

Growing up, my father would always say to me, "I hope you have four little girls...just like you". Awww - sounds sweet doesn't it? That is, until you find out he was saying it to me out of exacerbation!

And so, many years later my father gets his wish: I am 2 for 2.

My two children, while they may look like Hemingways, are infuriatingly Spilka's! I am mostly talking about their stubborn streak, their temper and the fact that they are mean when hungry.

Ok, mostly I am talking about their tempers and stubbornness. Layla is so much like me that I fear we won't get along when she is a teen. There are days where she is having such a tantrum that I just throw my hands up and say, "Arg! I can't deal with you...it is like dealing with myself!" - and I drive myself crazy!

Today, for example, Noah had to put his shoes away in the cubby at school. He refused to use two hands to pick them up - and so I had to watch as he was determined to move two shoes at once, with one small hand, into the cubby. Once I told him he "had" to use two hands, he simply wouldn't.

Sometimes Noah will throw himself dramatically onto the couch to cry over something he is not allowed to do/have and I just roll my eyes because I did that the night before to Keith over something that I couldn't do/have.

Luckily Layla is still a baby so her Spilka-like nature is minimal right now, but believe me it is there!

The person I feel the worst for is Keith - he is surrounded by me (and not my best qualities, I should add). Thank goodness he is a kind and patient man, because he handles it all very well. Nothing really ruffles his feathers. I think he is in for a treat as the kids age and one day become difficult teenagers.

No comments:

Post a Comment