Saturday, October 30, 2010

Halloween crafts

Noah is really into Halloween this year. They must have been talking about it a lot at daycare this week. He has asked to get pumpkins, put faces on the pumpkins and watch his favourite Toopy and Binoo Halloween episodes repeatedly. Of course, this doesn't mean he will willingly put on his fireman costume...er....batman costume (he keeps telling me he is going to be batman for Halloween, but I am not about to buy a second costume, when he doesn't even know who batman is!). In fact, I anticipate a big fuss and a lot of tears over getting him into the costume.

To help keep the spirit alive, I have decided that we should bake some sugar cookies and decorate them in halloween themed items. However, when I looked at my cookie cutters, all I have are Christmas ones. So Keith and I came up with the idea of taking the gingerbread man cutter and making zombies and monsters.

Now, anyone who knows me, knows I don't have a creative bone in my body (aside from the ability to play musical instruments), so I have a feeling this is going to turn into a batch of gingerbread men with splotches of icing and sprinkles on them - but at least he will have fun doing it. I will post photos once we are done...prepare to laugh!

Ah, that turned out to be great fun with Noah! What a great Saturday afternoon project for toddlers. I can't wait until Layla is old enough to participate!


Noah had so much fun decorating the cookies - then eating them immediately after! We ended up not doing zombies and monsters - due to my limited skills and cookie cutters. Instead, I would ask him what each teddy bear or gingerbread cutout was going to be for halloween.  I was very impressed with his suggestions!


Here are the results (By the way, we both feel sick now from the amount of cookies and icing we have consumed!):


Noah getting started

Very serious!

Enjoying the results of his work

A princess and Noah's "blue bear" dressed as a ghost!

Conjoined nurse twins

Noah's bear, "Mrs. Wiggins"


Noah chose to dress this teddy in a green outfit

Brown bear

Noah's other teddy, "blue bear"

A pirate

"Blue bear" dressed as a pumpkin

Batman

Mommy's bears/gingerbread men

Noah's teddy bears/gingerbread men (Note: There were more but he ate them!)







No comments:

Post a Comment