Thursday, August 11, 2011

2 week countdown

Noah's surgery is in 2 weeks. It is coming way too fast for my liking. Next week he has his very long pre-operative clinic day (x-rays, blood work, child life, surgeon) and then he is being pulled from school to keep him as healthy as we can.

So I thought I would just post on how we are doing: On the whole we are actually functioning ok. After the initial shock wore off, I think we just fell back into our normal day-to-day rhythm. However, that said, we also have moments of grief overtake us. I have to admit I get very sad when I wonder why Noah has to endure such things. I also wonder why kids have to be sick ever...doesn't seem very fair to me.

We bought Noah a book about staying in the hospital. He likes to read it and he asks us lots of questions about the hospital but overall he is quite oblivious to what is going on. I do, however think he senses "something" is going on - as he is more clingy to us.

Today Keith booked our hotel room close to the hospital so we don't have to wake up super early to get down there. For some reason, hearing of the booking made it seem real and I became a blubbering mess. I cried so much that I can't leave my office now or I will draw a great deal of attention due to my puffy and red eyes. I also only just realized that we won't see Layla for quite a few days and that made me equally upset (we plan to have us both by Noah's bed while he is in the ICU and then when we get to the ward take turns staying with him). She is too young to understand and I can't help but wonder if she will wonder where we are. That breaks my heart.

Tonight is DQ Miracle Treat Day - raising money for local hospitals. It feels fitting that it falls so close to Noah's operation. We will proudly buy blizzards and feed those sugary treats to our kids tonight to support a good cause. Quite frankly, when you are in our shoes, it seems like feeding sugar to children is the last thing to worry about right now...I am sure they will love it!

1 comment:

  1. Aislynn,

    Just catching up on your blog and wanted to give you a big HUG. Also, you don't have to apologize for being cold or feeling detached. You feel what you feel and that isn't something you have to apologize for. I expect it's just your way to cope and be strong for Noah. I'll be thinking of you and your family in the days to come. Sending tons of healthy vibes to your handsome little man.

    Trudy

    ReplyDelete